Wednesday, March 26, 2008

'The Real Reason Why We are Antiwar'

By Burkeman1 ∙ TheDailyBurkeman ∙ March 22, 2008

The Daily Burkeman

I would like to say that what animates my antiwar sentiment is that I possess a heightened sense of the worth of Human life. That my Catholic upbringing has instilled in me an inherent moral code. I would like to say that my antiwar sentiment is purely motivated out of a deep abiding sense of empathy for my fellow man- no matter how far removed from my own traditions or alien the culture.

I would like to say all that but I can’t. For when I honestly look at why I am antiwar I have to admit that the overriding reason for such beliefs is that well . . . the pro war position is positively and absolutely stupid beyond measure and insulting to the intelligence of any marginally intelligent 8th grader.

The truth is that I am antiwar because I cannot abide the gaping obvious abjectly and transparently stupid arguments (all 4 dozen of them) used to justify the Iraq war and the War on Terror in general.

In fact, I think I am not alone in this. Take a look at who is opposed to these wars. They are all over the ideological and political map. Left to right, liberal and conservative, old rightist and new leftist, anarchist and monarchist, communitarians and centralizers . . . there is no political “ism” which defines those of us who are antiwar.

What unites us then? Why are we against these wars? Well- If I may- let me suggest that the one common thread that runs among all of these different outlooks and groups- what we share in common- is that we don’t subscribe to the ludicrous beyond silly fear that “Islam” is going to take us over- invade us- or bring us to our knees. We place our fear of “Islam The Horrible” taking us over to make us wear Burkas somewhere between our fear of liquid mercury bubbling up from the earth to flood our basements and the threat of being kidnapped by Sasquatch.

Yes. We abhor the loss of human life. Yes, we are ashamed of the killing being done in our name. Yes. The criminality of these wars concerns us greatly. But mostly? We are incredulous that these wars are even being fought at all and that any appreciable number of our fellow citizens buys any of the patently absurd justifications, many of them contradictory, for these wars.

In fact, the obvious insane stupidity of these wars- and the fears they are based on- is so clear- so starkly plain to us- that we actually have to stop reading the news for several weeks at a time because when we read three sentences into one of our surreal “news” stories on the war- our blood boils with anger- with the anger of someone who doesn’t like being treated like a retarded naïf- like a dimwitted slow child riding the short bus to “special person school”.

I for one cannot imagine any adult with any intelligence above idiot grade believing the string of lies and excuses and absurd stupid monster stories that pour forth from our government and the Reich Winging propaganda outlets of the MIC to explain why these wars are being fought. I literally don’t believe any pro war commentator believes a WORD of what they write or say. I think they are conscious liars. I refuse to grant to them sincerity in their beliefs. How can I? How could anyone given how preposterous, illogical, silly, and ignorant their “arguments.” I can’t even call what they babble and blurbble- “arguments”. Rather their words are just strings of verbal puke- that make no sense. Silly slogans and sound bites.

The arguments of Pro War pundits deserve no respectful airing. No respectful attention. They are false. They are lies. And they are obviously so.

Yes. I am disgusted by the bloodshed. Yes. I despise the carnage. But mostly? I don’t like being treated like a chump and sucker and rube. A trillion dollars a year to “defend” against “Terrorism”? My intelligence couldn’t be more insulted than if you tried to sell me the Brooklyn Bridge.

2 comments:

  1. such melody is so lyrically lilted writing, from the fingers of one so nobly sane. God that was refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. Burkeman knows what's up. If you're jaded numb over the shit being peddled for truth these days, you're definitely not alone.

    ReplyDelete